13 Things to Know About Our Style Crush, Lucy Boynton

Publish date: 2024-05-04

A decade after making her big-screen debut in Miss Potter in 2006, Lucy Boynton landed her breakout role in Sing Street. She quickly won over audiences with her portrayal of Raphina, an aspiring model in 1980s Dublin. Since then, the 23-year-old actress has taken on darker projects, starring alongside Kiernan Shipka and Emma Roberts in the supernatural thriller The Blackcoat's Daughter as well as opposite Naomi Watts in Netflix's psychological drama Gypsy.

For her latest role, Boynton is taking a glamorous—albeit, still deadly—turn. She plays Countess Andrenyi in the star-studded mystery Murder on the Orient Express, which hits theaters today. "I got to wear the most incredible costumes," Boynton told InStyle for our December issue. "My character is a countess, so she wears very extravagant materials and shapes. When you first see her in the film, there's a long black-and-gold cape that comes down the back of her beautiful 1940s cocktail dress. Wearing something like that completely transforms the way you hold yourself and the way that you walk."

VIDEO: Emma Roberts, Kiernan Shipka, and Lucy Boynton Talk The Blackcoat's Daughter
[brightcove:5378276111001 player_1]

While Boynton may be transfixed by her onscreen ensembles, we can't get enough of her off-camera looks. From pastel Miu Miu minis to Valentino statement gowns, she's managed to wow us on one red carpet after another lately—and her winning streak shows no sign of stopping anytime soon. Scroll down for 13 things we learned about our current style crush, and for more stories like this, pick up the December issue of InStyle, now available available on newsstands, on Amazon, and for digital download.

STYLE MANTRA

Paul Bruinooge/Getty Images

"As long as you feel good in something, it doesn't matter what other people think," said Boynton. "You just have to own it. You'll never regret wearing something you really love."

DREAM DESIGNERS

MediaPunch/BACKGRID

"Miu Miu and Prada keep fashion fun, and Chanel's recent space-themed collection is stunning. I've always been a huge fan of Valentino too. I never wanted to take off the pink gown I wore to the Gypsy première. It was a magical dress for a magical moment."

STYLE ICON

Sunset Boulevard/Getty Images

"I've always liked higher necklines, and Mia Farrow is my ultimate inspiration. The baby-doll dresses with big Peter Pan collars that she wore in Rosemary's Baby were iconic. I've been drawn to similar looks ever since."

DECADES OF INFLUENCE

Todd Williamson/Getty Images

"I'm getting more adventurous with my style, but you probably won't see me in a completely formfitting dress anytime soon. I much prefer the silhouettes of the '40s and '50s—although the '80s became a big influence for me after Sing Street. I got far too comfortable wearing bright blue eye shadow."

COSTUME KEEPSAKE

Courtesy Fox

"In Murder on the Orient Express I wore the most exquisite looks, including one outfit with a hand-stitched sequined veil. If I could get away with wearing it every day, I would! My other favorite was a beautiful brown suede jacket that was custom-made for me. On the last day of filming, the costume designer slipped it into my bag and I snuck off with it."

GO-TO ACCESSORIES

lucyboynton1/instagram

"For the red carpet I like a platform heel, but for everyday it's mostly Converse high-tops or booties with black tights. Right now my favorite thing I own is a raspberry cross-body bag from Prada's fall collection. I work all my outfits around it."

FASHION FANTASY

Francois G. Durand/Getty Images

"I'm drawn to romantic and ethereal looks. I feel most like myself in lighter pieces and pastels. I'm obsessed with lilac at the moment."

RED-CARPET GOALS

Pascal Le Segretain/Getty Images; CHRIS DELMAS/AFP/Getty Images

"Elle Fanning is constantly willing to take risks, and I really admire that. And Kiernan Shipka has never made a wrong step. Her fashion history is gold."

Creative Chameleon

Desiree Navarro/WireImage

"My style changes based on my mood or the films that I've seen lately. I recently watched Paper Moon, and it was a complete inspiration even though the protagonist is an 11-year-old girl. You'll be seeing me in dungaroos soon."

FANCY FEET

Everett Collection, lucyboynton1/Instagram, Courtesy

"All my life I've coveted the mary janes from the movie Annie. And recently I finally found a similar pair at the French shoe store Carel. I bought them in bright red and powder blue, and they're the absolute best."

SHOPPING SPOTS

lucyboynton1/instagram

"My usual go-to is & Other Stories, because it's always a safe bet even though each collection tends to be very different from the last. Zara is another favorite."

COLOR OF CONFIDENCE

Randy Holmes/Getty Images

"I'm always drawn to the color red, whether it's a red dress, a red lip, or my bright red Carel shoes. It's always been my favorite color to wear and what I feel most confident in."

BEAUTY ESSENTIAL

lucyboynton1/instagram

"My beauty essential is anything that helps me get big doe eyes—that's the look I love. I always use MAC Haute and Naughty mascara because it comes with two brush options, one's thin and the other is thicker. I've been searching for the perfect mascara for years and I finally found it in that.

ncG1vNJzZmivp6x7qrrSrbClnV6YvK57wp6jnpqinsG6e9KtsKWdXZi%2Ftr%2FHZqOum6lir7DFza2mpw%3D%3D